We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
James Madison was the fourth President of the United States. See James Madison (DANFS 111, 496) for Pres!dent Madison's biography.
Commander James Jonas Madison, born 20 May 1888 in Jersey City, N.J., was appointed lieutenant in the Naval Reserve 8 May 1917. As commanding officer of Ticonderoga 30 September 1918 when she was attacked and sunk by enemy submarine,,, Commander Madison, in spite of severe wounds which later necessitated Me amputation of a leg, continued to direct and maneuver the ship until forced to order her abandoned. "For exceptionally heroic service in a position of great responsibility . " during this engagement, Commander Madison was awarded the Medal of Honor. He died 25 December 1,922 at Brooklyn, N.Y. The first two Madisons were named for President Madison; the third for Oomdr. Madison.
(Ship: t. 503; 1. 112': b. 32'6"; cpl. 200; a. 14 I8-pdr.)
Schooner Madison, built at Sackett's Harbor, N.Y. by Henry Eckford, was launched on Lake Ontario 26 November
1812, Lt. Jesse D. Elliot in command. She was the first U.S. corvette launched on the lake.
Madison departed Sackett's Harbor, N.Y., 25 April 1813 as flagship of Commodore Chauncey; she saw active duty in the War of 1812 as part of Chauncey's Lake Ontario Squadron. Madison participated in the capture of York, now Toronto, Canada, in April; the attacks on Fort George in May; and engagements with British squadrons on Lake Ontario 7 to 11 August and 11 to 22 September 1865.
After the end of the war, Madison-a fast schooner, but not very safe-laid up at Sackett's Harbor until sold in 1826.
Cpt. William Matson, early 1900s.
Matson Navigation Company’s long association with Hawaii began in 1882, when Captain William Matson sailed his three-masted schooner Emma Claudina from San Francisco to Hilo, Hawaii, carrying 300 tons of food, plantation supplies and general merchandise. That voyage launched a company that has been involved in such diversified interests as oil exploration, hotels and tourism, military service during two world wars and even briefly, the airline business. Matson’s primary interest throughout, however, has been carrying freight between the Pacific Coast and Hawaii.
In 1887, Captain Matson sold Emma Claudina and acquired the brigantine Lurline, which more than doubled the former vessel’s carrying capacity. As the Matson fleet expanded, new vessels introduced some dramatic maritime innovations. The bark Rhoderick Dhu was the first ship to have a cold storage plant and electric lights. The first Matson steamship, the Enterprise, was the first offshore ship in the Pacific to burn oil instead of coal.
Development of Tourism
Increased commerce brought a corresponding interest in Hawaii as a tourist attraction. The second Lurline, with accommodations for 51 passengers, joined the fleet in 1908. The 146-passenger ship S.S. Wilhelmina followed in 1910, rivaling the finest passenger ships serving the Atlantic routes. More steamships continued to join the fleet. When Captain Matson died in 1917 at 67, the Matson fleet comprised 14 of the largest, fastest and most modern ships in the Pacific passenger-freight service.
When World War I broke out, most of the Matson fleet was requisitioned by the government as troopships and military cargo carriers. Other Matson vessels continued to serve Hawaii’s needs throughout the war. After the war, Matson ships reverted to civilian duty and the steamers SS Manulani and SS Manukai were added to the fleet – the largest freighters in the Pacific at that time.
Malolo at Honolulu, 1920s
The decade from the mid-1920s to mid-30s marked a period of significant expansion for Matson. In 1925, the company established Matson Terminals, Inc., a wholly owned subsidiary, to perform stevedoring and terminal services for its fleet. With increasing passenger traffic to Hawaii, Matson built a world-class luxury liner, the S.S. Malolo, in 1927. At the time, the Malolo was the fastest ship in the Pacific, cruising at 22 knots. Its success led to the construction of the luxury liners Mariposa, Monterey and Lurline between 1930 and 1932.
Matson’s famed “White Ships” were instrumental in the development of tourism in Hawaii and the South Pacific. Beginning in 1927, with the construction of The Royal Hawaiian, Matson’s Waikiki hotels provided tourists with luxury accommodations both ashore and afloat. In order to generate excitement and allure for Hawaii as a world-class tourist destination, Matson developed an ambitious and enduring advertising campaign that involved the creative efforts of famous photographers such as Edward Steichen and Anton Bruehl. In addition, Matson commissioned artists to design memorable keepsake menus for the voyages, as well as during their stay at The Royal Hawaiian. The Matson artwork created by Frank McIntosh, Eugene Savage, John Kelly, and Louis Macouillard continues to be popular. Today, Matson is proud to offer high-quality reproductions of some of its most popular archival Hawaii and South Pacific inspired travel art for sale at Matson Vintage Art, the official online store for Matson’s archives.
Immediately after the December 7, 1941 attack on Pearl Harbor, the passenger liners Lurline, Matsonia, Mariposa, and Monterey, and 33 Matson freighters were called to military service. Matson, as General Agent for the War Shipping Administration, was given the responsibility for manning, provisioning, maintaining and servicing an important part of the government’s rapidly expanding fleet of cargo vessels.
Thousands of GIs aboard Mariposa.
Matson was soon operating a fleet of more than one hundred vessels. Matson’s four passenger liners completed a wartime total of 119 voyages, covered 1 1/2 million miles and carried a total of 736,000 troops. As 1945 ended, the roster of 35.
Matson freighters in 1940 had been reduced to 14 by wartime losses or sale to the Government. The post-war period for Matson was somewhat difficult. The expense of restoration work proved to be very costly and necessitated the sale of the Mariposa and Monterey, still in wartime gray. In 1948, the Lurline returned to service after a $20 million reconversion. Two new Matson hotels were built on Waikiki in the 1950s, the SurfRider in 1951 and the Princess Kaiulani in 1955. In 1955, Matson undertook a $60 million shipbuilding program which produced the South Pacific liners Mariposa and Monterey, and the rebuilt wartime Monterey was renamed Matsonia and entered the Pacific Coast – Hawaii service.
Innovation in the PacificHawaiian Merchant, 1958
On August 31, 1958, Matson’s S.S. Hawaiian Merchant departed San Francisco Bay carrying 20 24-foot containers on deck. The historic voyage marked the beginning of an ambitious containerization program that achieved tremendous gains in productivity and efficiency from the age-old methods of break-bulk cargo handling. The container freight system that Matson introduced to Hawaii in 1958 was a product of years of careful research and resulted in the development of a number of industry innovations that became models worldwide.
The company’s his toric contribution to the maritime industry is prominently featured in an exhibition at the Smithsonian National Museum of American History in Washing ton, D.C., entitled “Transforming the Waterfront.” The display includes authentic 1970-era Matson containers, with a backdrop mural of Matson’s Oakland container yar d at night. The exhibition also addresses the impact of containerization on West Coast waterfront operations, in cluding the historic Mechanization and Modernization Agreement of 1960. To learn more about the exhibit, please click here.
Smithsonian National Museum of American History
Containerization brought the greatest changes to water transportation since steamships replaced sailing vessels. And it came just in time to save the American Merchant Marine from going down with all hands under the burden of rapidly-rising costs and foreign flag competition.
Matson’s containerization program for Hawaii was the product of its in-house research department, which was established in 1956 and was the first of its kind in the industry. It was a tremendous program, perhaps one of the most significant ever undertaken by an ocean carrier.
The transformation of the Matson fleet from break bulk to container vessels began in 1960, when the S.S. Hawaiian Citizen became the first vessel in the Pacific to be converted to a full containership. It was also the first vessel to incorporate a large-scale refrigerated container capacity into the company’s regular container service. While other vessels were converted in the early 1960s, construction of the first containership in the world to be built from the keel up commenced in 1967, from a design developed by Matson’s own naval architects.
Clark Ross Straddle Carrier, custom designed for Matson.
That vessel, the S.S. Hawaiian Enterprise (renamed Manukai), and its sistership, the S.S. Hawaiian Progress (renamed Manulani), entered service in 1970 and marked the beginning of a new generation of containerships. The gains in productivity and efficiency were remarkable. In 1950, an average commercial vessel could carry 10,000 tons at a speed of 16 knots. Following the development of containerization, the average commercial vessel carried 40,000 tons at a speed of 23 knots. Concurrently, shoreside innovations were introduced, including the world’s first A-frame gantry crane, which was erected in 1959 in Alameda, California and became the prototype for container cranes. In addition, Matson introduced the first transtainer by Paceco and the first straddle carrier in the world by Clark Ross – both developed to meet Matson specifications.
Back to Roots: Lifeline To a Growing Hawaii Economy
With the focus on containerization growing, Matson divested itself of all non-shipping assets, including its Waikiki hotels, which were sold to the Sheraton Corporation in 1959. In 1969, Matson became a wholly owned subsidiary of Honolulu-based Alexander & Baldwin, Inc., strengthening the business ties that formally date back to 1908, when A&B invested $200,000 to acquire a minority interest in Captain Matson’s company. In 1970, in line with the decision to concentrate on its Pacific Coast-Hawaii freight service, the company sold its passenger vessels and suspended its Far East service, which had commenced a few years earlier.
A major ship construction program was undertaken during the 1970s, modernizing the company’s vessels to a fully containerized fleet, as well as adding roll on/roll off (ro-ro) capacity. In the 1980s, three specially designed barges were constructed for Matson’s Neighbor Island service, including two container barges and one ro-ro barge. In 1992, the diesel-powered containership MV R. J. Pfeiffer was constructed and joined the Matson fleet.
Equally important, Matson focused on developing an industry-leading Customer Service Center in the 1990s, providing customers with “one call does it all” customer service. That effort resulted in the creation of a Customer Service Center in Phoenix in 1995. The philosophy behind centralized customer service was extended to the Internet in subsequent years, allowing customers to have the same “ease of use” in doing business with Matson online as they have with dedicated customer service teams.
In 1987, Matson formed Matson Intermodal System, Inc. as an intermodal marketing company (IMC) arranging rail and truck transportation throughout North America for shippers and carriers.
The company grew steadily through the ‘90s and gained industry recognition as one of the nation’s leading IMCs.
In 2003, the company was renamed Matson Logistics in recognition of its continued growth and expanded service offerings. In 2011, the company rebranded itself as Matson Logistics and continued to develop as a leading provider of multimodal transportation services to the North America market, including domestic and international rail intermodal service, long haul and regional highway brokerage, supply chain services and less-than-truck-load (LTL) transportation services, as well as third-party logistics services that encompass warehousing, distribution, less-than-container-load (LCL) consolidation and international freight forwarding.
In 1999, Matson and Stevedoring Services of America, Inc. (SSA) appointed SSA Terminals as the manager of terminal and stevedore operations at Matson Terminals, Inc.’s facilities on the West Coast. MTI continues to operate Matson’s container stevedoring and terminal services in Honolulu.
Zhendong Container Terminal, Shanghai International Port
Beginning in 2002, Matson embarked on an ambitious four-ship construction program, which involved investing more than $500 million in new containerships that significantly modernized the company’s fleet. With the new ships, the company developed a successor to its Guam service, which was operated as a joint alliance service with APL from 1996 – 2006. The new service included stops in Honolulu and Guam, as well as expanding Matson’s geographic reach in the Pacific to include China. The China – Long Beach Express (CLX) was inaugurated in 2006, with service from Ningbo and Shanghai to Long Beach. In 2009, Xiamen was added as a port call.
In April 2007 Matson celebrated 125 years as a leader in Pacific shipping. That same year, due to the outstanding reliability of its CLX service, Matson became the first ocean carrier to offer guaranteed transit times of full container loads to the West coast as part of its premium level transpacific service.
In 2012, after 43-years as a subsidiary of A&B, Matson separated from its parent company, forming Matson, Inc. and began trading its shares on the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) under the ticker symbol MATX.
Liloa II, Auckland, New Zealand
Matson launched Matson South Pacific (MSP) in 2013 after it acquired Auckland, New Zealand-based, Reef Shipping. Beginning with service from Auckland and Fiji to the island nations of Nauru, the Solomon Islands, Tahiti, Samoa, Cook Islands, Niue, Tonga, Wallis, Futuna, Vanuatu, Tarawa and Majuro, service later expanded to include service from Brisbane to the Solomon Islands and Nauru.
Having been interested in the Alaska market for some time, Matson fulfilled the opportunity to add this natural extension of its Pacific services in 2015 with the $469 million acquisition of the Alaska operations of Horizon Lines, Inc. This added the Alaska ports of Anchorage, Kodiak and Dutch Harbor to the network, along with seven Horizon vessels – three diesel vessels (D7) and four steamships. The D7s were refurbished, rebranded and renamed Matson Anchorage, Matson Kodiak and Matson Tacoma, while one steamship was held as a reserve vessel and the others retired.
Arrival of new 65-ton gantry crane at Kodiak.
The company made another initial investment of more than $30 million in new equipment for the Alaska operations, including a new 65-ton gantry crane for Kodiak Terminal that is the largest in Alaska and is powered by renewable energy.
Matson for the first time linked its northern Pacific network with its South Pacific operations in 2016 with the introduction of its South Pacific Express (SPX) service between Honolulu, Samoa and American Samoa, creating a contiguous network spanning the Pacific. The company continued investing in the Alaska market with the acquisition of Span Alaska, a market leading provider of Less-than-Container Load (“LCL”) freight consolidation and forwarding services to Alaska, as a subsidiary of Matson Logistics.
In the final phase of the latest modernization of Matson’s Hawaii fleet, the company in 2013 ordered two new 3,600-TEU containerships to be built at Philly Shipyard in Pennsylvania, and in 2016 ordered two combination container and roll-on/roll-off (“Con-Ro”) ships to be built on a 3,500-TEU vessel platform at General Dynamics NASSCO Shipyard in California. Designed specifically for the Hawaii trade lane and scheduled for delivery in 2018, 2019 and 2020, the four new ships will arrive with state-of-the-art green technology features, including fuel efficient hull designs, environmentally safe double hull fuel tanks, fresh water ballast systems and dual-fuel engines that will enable operation at speeds up to 23 knots on either conventional fuel oils or liquefied natural gas (“LNG”) with some adaptation for LNG. These advancements are important to Hawaii as a means to reduce fuel consumption, and will result in significant emissions reductions over time.
Aloha Class Daniel K. Inouye arrives Honolulu.
The first two ships, delivered in 2018 and 2019, were classified the Aloha Class and named Daniel K. Inouye and Kaimana Hila, respectively, in honor of Hawaii’s late senior senator and his ardent support of the U.S. maritime industry.
The roll-on/roll-off Kanaloa Class vessels, have historical names that have been maintained in Matson’s evolving fleet for more than a hundred years. Lurline, the third new ship and first Kanaloa Class vessel, was delivered in 2019. The last of the four new ships, Matsonia, was delivered in 2020.
Matson vessel Lurline, Maiden Voyage arrival Jan. 17, 2020.
Madison ship - History
A Historic Residential Community
Historical Madison Barracks
For almost two centuries, the limestone and brick structures of Madison Barracks in Sackets Harbor, N.Y. have helped to protect and preserve America. Founded because of the area’s strategic importance during the War of 1812, the Barracks has aided our country in every war, from the War of 1812 to World War II. It has also served as a frontier post, military depot, hospital and training center for both civilians and the military. At times, the Barracks bustled with activity and life at others, it lay empty and quiet. Through the years the sturdy buildings, tree-lined streets, and beautiful green parade grounds lay in silent testimony to the men that built them.
Today, despite years of abandonment and despair, the Barracks is once again bustling with activity. In the words of General Jacob Brown (1819): “They will endure for ages, a monument of the folly and the wisdom of those by whom they were erected.” No visitor today can help but feel respect and awe for this historic place, which has for so many years, served so many. In 1815, five companies of the Second Infantry Regiment arrived at Sackets Harbor and were immediately put to work the construction of Madison Barracks had begun. In spite of several budgetary setbacks, the work was well under way when President James Monroe came to observe the progress. On its completion, Madison Barracks was considered to be one of the nation’s best military posts and a key America’s northern defense. The original Barracks consisted of four one-story limestone structures. Of these, two ”Stone Rows” still stand. The stone had been cut from the cliffs along the lakeshore. The total construction is said to have cost $150,000.
By 1820, 30% of the population of Sackets Harbor, was housed at the Barracks. General W.J. Worth began a program of repairs and construction in 1838. New additions to the barracks at that time include a stone commissary, a quartermaster’s storehouse, an ordinance building, a guard house, and a hospital. It was in this hospital that Dr. Samuel Guthrie invented Chloroform. Subsequently, the first operation, making use of an anesthetic, was performed. Dr. Guthrie also discovered percussion ignition powder while living in Sackets Harbor and carried on experiments in the hospital until his death in 1843. Dr. Guthrie is also known to have taken the skeletal remains of unknown casualties and prepared them for use in medical schools and doctor’s offices throughout the United States.
In 1848, units of the 4th Infantry Regiment returned from the Mexican War and were stationed at Madison Barracks. One of the new arrivals was a young 2nd Lieutenant named Ulysses S. Grant. Grant was remembered as being generally withdrawn, except for when he raced his horse to Watertown, most Saturday evenings, to play checkers. The building Grant lived in, on Old Stone Row, has been rehabilitated into extended stay apartment units. Grant and the entire garrison left in 1852, and once again, Madison Barracks lay empty. Grant returned to the Barracks for a short time just prior to the start of the Civil War. The outbreak of the war between the states, however, revived the camp which reopened in October 1862. Throughout the war, the barracks was used as a depot and rendezvous point. At the end of the war, many units served at the Barracks. But, the days of the Barracks seemed to be numbered.
At that time, there was a movement in the government to begin shutting down posts to cut costs. None other than the then General-In-Chief of the Army advocated permanent closing of the Barracks. The death knoll was sounded on 6th November 1876, when the eastern half of the officer’s quarters burned down (OLD STONE ROW EAST WING), and the general urged abandonment of the partially destroyed outpost. Two villagers, Colonel Camp and Congressman George Bagley, saved the Barracks by going directly to President Grant who, because of his emotional attachment to the place, intervened and saved the post. Madison Barracks got a new lease on life, and a period of renewed activity followed.
Starting in 1887, a new administration building, stone storehouses, officers’ quarters (Officers’ Row), and a second story was added to the original limestone barracks (Old Stone Row). The iron fence, which once belonged to the Buckingham Palace, was taken to Madison Barracks and placed around the military cemetery. Today, the military cemetery located on Dodge Avenue, is the home of this historic fence. The post was expanded between 1892 and 1895 to its present day 115 acres. A new mess hall, a new barracks, a stone water tower, and several other buildings date from this period of time. Also in 1895, the army purchased the Stony Point Target Range. It consisted of 868 acres and was 16 miles away from Madison Barracks. This was enlarged in 1910 and renamed Pine Plains Camp with over 17,000 acres, which was to become the present day army installation of Fort Drum, the home of the 10th Mountain Division.
Despite all this expansion, the advocates of consolidation appeared once again and urged abandonment of the Madison Barracks. The citizen protest from Sackets Harbor managed to preserve the Barracks a second time. On May 28, 1913, the village celebrated the centennial anniversary of the battle of Sackets Harbor. A monument was erected, the principal address and dedication was given by Assistant Secretary of the Navy Franklin D. Roosevelt. Today the monument remains in its original location on the grounds of the NYS Battlefield site. Through all these years, many have served at Madison Barracks in Sackets Harbor. It is today one of the fourteen upstate NY communities, which have been designated as a NYS Heritage Area.
Fort Volunteer, (circ, 1811) where General Pike fought the British in the war of 1812, is the only remaining and visible fortification left in Sackets Harbor. Re-named Fort Pike after the death of General Pike in the attack of York (Toronto, Canada), it is owned by the village of Sackets Harbor and plans are on to create a green space interpretive park.
Many notable persons passed through the gates of Madison Barracks throughout its history. In addition to General Pike and Grant , World War II hero, General Mark Clark was born at Madison Barracks, specifically in one of the units of the Old Stone Row. Fiorello LaGuardia as a boy lived and played at the barracks, while his father served as the bandmaster, and was housed in Building #83. Also, the first woman U.S. Army General, Elizabeth Hozington, one half of the only brother-and-sister pair to become generals in the army, was stationed at the barracks and lived on the Officers’ Row. Three young lieutenants stationed at Madison Barracks went on to make their place in history as well General of the Army, Henry “Hap” Arnold He is regarded to be the father of the modern day U.S. Air Force. In the history of what was then known as the Army Air Forces, only 4 generals were commissioned to be 5 Star Generals, a designation that no longer exists.
Spanish American War Hero – battlefield-commissioned General Krueger who lived on the Old Stone Row, went on to become the commander of the 6th Army which lead the invasions of New Guinea and the Philippines. General James Van Fleet, the famous Korean War combat general, was stationed here at the barracks. General Tom Casey was born at Madison Barracks, graduated from West Point top of his class, and joined the Army Corps of Engineers. His career lead him on to be the engineer of record, commissioned to finish the Washington monument after its 25 year halt in construction, and was responsible for the construction of the Congress Library.
Madison Barracks features rehabilitated and new residential housing units in dignified architectural harmony with existing structures. Single family homes, apartments, townhouses have vitalized a locale notable for serenity and beauty. This place offers its residents, guest and visitors an exceptional blend of recreational, social and educational activities within the site.
Madison Washington: Instigated Most Successful Slave Revolt in U.S. History
Madison Washington was an American cook who started a slave revolt in 1841 on board the brig Creole. The ship was transporting over 130 slaves from Virginia to sell in New Orleans, as part of the coastwise slave trade. Although the Creole was a domestic ship, the Black men and women on board suffered conditions to those of the international slave ships, such as indiscriminate cruelty, sexual abuse and physical deprivation.
On the night of November 7, 1841, Washington led over a dozen of his fellow slaves into rebellion they killed one of the slave traders on board and wounded the crew. The slaves were kept in a forward hold and when a grate was lifted, Washington overtook the deck. The slaves took control of the Creole and commanded that it be sailed to Nassau, which was under British control at the time slavery had been abolished in Great Britain since 1839.
The Americans protested, but the British declared the slaves to be free under their law and refused the demands that they be returned. The British took Washington and his conspirators into custody. Because of the death of the slave trader, the governor of the Bahamas could not let the men go free. Washington and his compatriots in the revolt were detained while the rest were allowed to live as free people.
A special session of the Admiralty Court heard the case, ruled in favor of the men, and freed them in April 1842. The remaining 116 slaves had achieved freedom immediately in the preceding fall five had remained on the ship and chose to return to slavery in the United States. As 128 slaves were freed due to this revolt, it is considered the most successful in United States history.
The Creole Mutiny: A Tale of Revolt Aboard a Slave Ship by George Hendrick
From Native Camp to Colonial Village
Plan of the colony of Connecticut by Moses Park dated November 24, 1766.
In July of 1639 a company of white newcomers from Surrey and Kent, England, arrived by ship at the colony of Quinnipiack (now New Haven). Their signed covenant stated their firm intention to create an independent community. Led by Reverend Henry Whitfield, they negotiated for land with the Pequots, who lived to the east with Shaumpishuh, the female sachem of the Menunkatucks with Sebaguenosh or Sebeguencsh, the sachem of the Hammonassets and with Uncas of the Mohegans (who was the son-in-law of Sebaguenosh).
By September of 1639, the planters had secured a Menunkatuck tract that stretched from Oiockcommock (now called Stony Creek) to Kuttawoo (now called the East River) for an assortment of clothing, tools, domestic utensils, and wampum. Settlement at first centered on a sixteen-acre green surrounded by side streets where homelots were freely given to forty-eight heads of households. Four houses, including Whitfield’s, were constructed of stone, for the purposes of defense, and a meetinghouse was constructed at the head of the public green.
Suwannee steamboat skeleton: is it the Madison, scuttled in 1863?
In the crystal-clear waters of a Florida spring, decades-old remains are defying identification, tantalizing experts who are trying to solve a Suwannee River mystery.
Local legend has it that the remains are all that's left of the steamboat Madison, a floating general store that chugged up and down the Suwannee in the mid-19th century.
The river touches eight Florida counties as it meanders from its source in the Okefenokee Swamp in southern Georgia to the Gulf of Mexico. Suwannee River steamers brought mail, supplies, and a few luxuries to backwoods residents during the 19th century.
When the U.S. Civil War began in 1861, the Union Navy imposed a blockade of southern ports that gradually eliminated steamboat traffic on southern coastal rivers.
By the fall of 1863, as the fighting got closer to the Suwannee region, [owner James] Tucker decided to scuttle his ship to prevent it from falling into Navy hands.
Whether it's actually the Madison, though, remains to be seen.
So far state archaeologists have found and are working to identify the remains of at least ten steamboats in the Suwannee River, three of which are accessible to divers.
In addition to the ruins in Troy Springs, divers can visit the David Yulee near the Suwannee's mouth, as well as the well-preserved ruins of the City of Hawkinsville, the last steamboat to operate on the Suwannee.
Madison ship - History
American President Line
In 1938 the U.S. Government took over the management of the Dollar Steamship Co. which was in financial difficulties and transferred their assets to the newly formed American President Line. The company operated trans-Pacific and round-the-world services, but the war in Europe disrupted services and after the entry of the United States into the war, all the company's ships were taken over for war duties. After the war, only two ships were returned to the round-the-world service and two new ships were built 1947-48 for the trans-Pacific route. Further ships were later added to the fleet, but by 1972 only the PRESIDENT CLEVELAND (2) and PRESIDENT WILSON (2) were sailing as passenger ships and both were withdrawn from service the following year. The company still trades as a cargo company.
Many thanks to Ted Finch for his assistance in collecting this data. The following list was extracted from various sources. This is not an all inclusive list but should only be used as a guide. If you would like to know more about a vessel, visit the Ship Descriptions (onsite) or Immigrant Ship web site.
Routes: - 1938-1973 Trans-Pacific and Round-the-World passenger services.
pre- WW2: Black with broad red band containing spread eagle log four stars.
post-WW2: Blue with broad red band containing spread eagle logo four stars.
from 1996 - Blue with broad red band containing spread eagle logo minus stars.
TheShipsList®™ - (Swiggum) All Rights Reserved - Copyright © 1997-present
These pages may be freely linked to but not duplicated in any fashion without written consent of .
Last updated: February 05, 2005 and maintained by and M. Kohli
Madison Shipman’s Boyfriend
Madison Shipman is single. She is not dating anyone currently. Madison had at least 1 relationship in the past. Madison Shipman has not been previously engaged. She was born to Bill and Lori Shipman. She has three siblings, sisters Amanda and Allysa and brother Billy. According to our records, she has no children.
Like many celebrities and famous people, Madison keeps her personal and love life private. Check back often as we will continue to update this page with new relationship details. Let’s take a look at Madison Shipman past relationships, ex-boyfriends and previous hookups.
Madison Shipman’s birth sign is Cancer. Cancers are very sensitive and caring. A Cancer typically rushes falls in love falls quickly and with a very loud thud and is less likely to bail when the going gets rough. Cancers are very loyal and determined to work things out. The most compatible signs with Cancer are generally considered to be Taurus, Virgo, Scorpio, and Pisces. The least compatible signs with Cancer are generally considered to be Aries and Libra. Madison Shipman also has a ruling planet of Moon.
Madison ship - History
Click for a view of the interior of the brochure
Dollar Steamship Lines/American Mail Line
Dollar Steamship Lines/American Mail Line
Sailings November 1949-February 1951 (issued December 1, 1949) for:
Sailings March 1960-September 1961 (issued July 1959) for:
Sailings November 1966-January 1969 (issued December 1966) for:
See the archives section for more brochures of American President Lines.
American President Lines fleet information, history etc. on the following website (including predecessor Dollar Line):
You may use my images on another website.
When Enslaved People Commandeered a Ship and Hightailed it to Freedom in the Bahamas
On this day in 1841, a shipboard rebellion led to 128 enslaved people gaining their freedom in the Bahamas.
The Creole case made headlines in its own time, but despite being the most successful revolt of enslaved people in U.S. history, it’s less well known today.
The Creole was transporting 135 enslaved people from Richmond, Virginia to the slave markets in New Orleans. On November 7, 1841,㺒 of the slaves attacked the crew, killing one of the slave traders aboard and wounding the ship’s captain, Robert Ensor. "With great coolness and presence of mind" they gathered up all the ship's weapons and the documents related to their enslavement, writes Michael Paul Williams for the Richmond Times-Dispatch. After some debate about where they should now go on the ship, writes BlackPast.org, they settled on the British colony of the Bahamas, forcing one of the crew members to navigate for them.
After landing in the Bahamas, because slavery was illegal in the British colonies, the Bahamians considered the majority of the enslaved people on the ship free. However, the remaining people who had been involved in overtaking the ship were held and charged with mutiny–at the request of the American consulate.
Among those people was Madison Washington, an enslaved cook who had previously escaped to Canada, writes BlackPast.org. He “was later captured and sold when he returned to Virginia in search of his wife Susan.” The website writes:
Then-Secretary of State Daniel Webster was furious, writes Williams: he "demanded the insurrectionists' return for 'mutiny and murder.'" But there wasn't much he could do. Britain had outlawed slavery in its colonies in 1833, writes scholar Walter Johnson, and the U.S. and Britain didn't have a treaty explaning if or how they would respect each other's laws. So the people went free.
"The exploit of the slaves under the intrepid Madison Washington is a guarantee of what can be done by colored Americans in a just cause," one 1850 account said, according to Williams, "and foreshadows that a brighter day for slaves is at hand."
About Kat Eschner
Kat Eschner is a freelance science and culture journalist based in Toronto.
Watch the video: How a Steel Box Changed the World: A Brief History of Shipping